Redakai World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Redakai World

5 posters

Redakai DVD: Volume 2

Zair
    Zair

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Empty Redakai DVD: Volume 2

Post  Zair Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 pm

EDIT of an edit: It's actually the Canadian DVD. I bought my DVD off Ebay so I got the American one with the 13 episodes on it instead. I saw the DVD below (except it was the first volume) for sale at Zellers.. it had both French and English languages on it. And it still comes with the Red Harrier card. But only has like 5 episodes on it.

EDIT: I Figured Out Why This Only Has 4 Episodes On It! It's Because It's The French DVD. The First DVD (French) Had 5 Episodes On It.. And This One Has 4.. So It Makes Sense.. But The North American One Has The First 13 Episodes On One DVD. Picture Below Is For The French Boxart.

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Volume10

http://www.phase4films.com/detail.aspx?projectId=48d0865c-7275-4fe8-02b6-1e9c6897ce08

Click on 'Product Factsheet' If you want to download the PDF and see what's all on it.

"The series is currently supported by an action-figure toy line and there will be a full
    line of merchandise coming out in 2012" <-- I saw that in the PDF file and It made me excited! Very Happy

CAST:
    Danny Smith (Super Why)
    DIRECTOR:
    Stephane Berry
    PRODUCER:
    Michelle Lamoreaux, Robert Lamoreaux

SYNOPSIS:
    The fate of the universe depends on three teenagers: Ky, May, and Boomer. Their
    goal? To find a mystical alien energy called Kairu and save the Universe! Redakai is
    a treasure hunt pitting Kairu fighters against each other - on a journey that
    crisscrosses the planet, with fantastic locales and untold dangers waiting around
    every corner. Join the adventure with these 4 exciting episodes! / Le sort de
    l’univers repose entre les mains de trois adolescents : Ky, Maya et Boomer. Leur
    objectif : mettre la main sur l’énergie mystique Kairu, capable de sauver l’univers!
    Redakai est une chasse au trésor qui oppose les uns aux autres des aventuriers à
    la recherche de Kairu dans une épopée qui les mène en des lieux fantastiques pour
    affronter des dangers aux quatre coins de la planète. Participez à l’aventure en
    regardant ces 4 épisodes palpitants!

COMP TITLES:
    Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh!

SELLING POINTS:
    A unique lenticular card game from the brilliant minds at Spin Master that combines
    great collectability with innovative layered game play
    The series is currently supported by an action-figure toy line and there will be a full
    line of merchandise coming out in 2012
    Redakai is an action-adventure animated series that follows the success of other
    brands such as Bakugan and Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Launched on YTV in Summer 2011
    The show is geared towards boys aged 6-11
    Includes 4 episodes
    General
    See P4F Sales Representative for Brand
    Presentation
    TV
    Airs on YTV 2 x per week
    Internet
    Official Website: www.redakai.com

I don't understand why there would only be four episodes on it though...

Last edited by Zair on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Empty Re: Redakai DVD: Volume 2

Post  Kohdok Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 am

COMP TITLES:
    Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh!

SELLING POINTS:
    Redakai is an action-adventure animated series that follows the success of other
    Redakai DVD: Volume 2 47482twi

I knew their sales tactic was a comparison with Bakugan and Yugioh! It will never reach the status of either game the way they've made it and they should try making something original rather than ride the coat-tails of other, better series(Better yet, they control one of those better series, why not keep investing in it to keep it going rather than stretch their company so thin?). Do they really have no better way of promoting it beyond a comparison? The clear-stack gimmick was done with Hecatomb and it bombed as well and lenticular cards are cheaper than they are selling them for. How can they compare themselves to Yugioh when they aren't even competitively priced with it?

The "Special Features" in the WB 2-disc DVD is just a pair of trailers, one explaining the actual plot of the story(Something the pilot and every episode afterwards failed to mention. It turns out Conner Stax initiated the cataclysm that released Kairu Energy everywhere and caused all this chaos) while the other is basically the show's intro, only more excruciating. The promo card doesn't even have any foil printing. Trust me, you aren't missing anything.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    COMP TITLES:
    Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh!

SELLING POINTS:
    Redakai DVD: Volume 2 47482twi

I knew their sales tactic was a comparison with Bakugan and Yugioh! It will never reach the status of either game the way they've made it and they should try making something original rather than ride the coat-tails of other, better series(Better yet, they control one of those better series, why not keep investing in it to keep it going rather than stretch their company so thin?). Do they really have no better way of promoting it beyond a comparison? The clear-stack gimmick was done with Hecatomb and it bombed as well and lenticular cards are cheaper than they are selling them for. How can they compare themselves to Yugioh when they aren't even competitively priced with it?

The "Special Features" in the WB 2-disc DVD is just a pair of trailers, one explaining the actual plot of the story(Something the pilot and every episode afterwards failed to mention. It turns out Conner Stax initiated the cataclysm that released Kairu Energy everywhere and caused all this chaos) while the other is basically the show's intro, only more excruciating. The promo card doesn't even have any foil printing. Trust me, you aren't missing anything.

Personally I love the cards. I'm just a collector though so I don't really play the game. And did you mean that it costs less for them to produce the cards and then they go selling them for way more than they should be? If so, didn't know that. I will admit the products for Redakai are really overpriced. At Zellers in Canada (before all the 'sales' were going on) one power pack was $6.99. And I don't think the new X-drive figures have shown up in Canada yet. I heard they were selling for $7.00-$9.00... which is WAY expensive for one card and a small figure.. but w/e.

As for the first North American DVD release. I bought it online for $6.00 (free shipping) and I was VERY disappointed with the special features. Basically I thought there would be something new to find on it but there were those trailers I already saw online. Nothing new. Disappointed. I do like the show though. And I understand how much you hate the show Kohdok. I see your posts everywhere and watch your videos on YouTube. I like hearing what you think about it though.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Zair wrote:Personally I love the cards. I'm just a collector though so I don't really play the game. And did you mean that it costs less for them to produce the cards and then they go selling them for way more than they should be? If so, didn't know that. I will admit the products for Redakai are really overpriced. At Zellers in Canada (before all the 'sales' were going on) one power pack was $6.99. And I don't think the new X-drive figures have shown up in Canada yet. I heard they were selling for $7.00-$9.00... which is WAY expensive for one card and a small figure.. but w/e.

As for the first North American DVD release. I bought it online for $6.00 (free shipping) and I was VERY disappointed with the special features. Basically I thought there would be something new to find on it but there were those trailers I already saw online. Nothing new. Disappointed. I do like the show though. And I understand how much you hate the show Kohdok. I see your posts everywhere and watch your videos on YouTube. I like hearing what you think about it though.

I know, I was at least expecting some development notes(Like how Monsuno is doing "Monsuno Masters" segments with the creators) or a webisode, maybe some biographies, but nope, Toy Fair trailers...

Spin Master was too arrogant with this series, in my opinion. They clearly poured a LOT of money into this series with all of the technology, advertising, and animation, but didn't put enough into story-writing, consultation, and peripheral design, or at least not in the right direction. The animation is above-par and has few errors (Zane's teleporting neck in episode 24 being the most noticeable)
    Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Classy Classy...

However, the writing falls flat on its face. I'm sure you're familiar with: "Guys we've got to save the forest! Quick, start hurling FIRE everywhere!!" There's also an episode where the door of the X-Scaper freezes shut. Gee, if only one of them had the power to conjure swords of plasma or hurl tornadoes of fire that could melt the ice! I guess there weren't enough trees around to give them that idea... It's all style-over-substance. Then again, what do you expect passing this off to the creators of the deliberately-campy "Totally Spies!"?

But perhaps I should be more fair. What is it that you like about the series?

Last edited by Kohdok on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Redakaigirl
    Redakaigirl
    Admin

Post  Redakaigirl Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

The makers of Totally Spies made this? I did not know that. And I agree, if you put some much work into animation, I think the stroy should be just as good. Smile
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Redakaigirl wrote:The makers of Totally Spies made this? I did not know that. And I agree, if you put some much work into animation, I think the stroy should be just as good. Smile

Eeyup. I'd link the wiki page, but no links for seven days, it seems.

I think a problem Redakai has is that it can't decide whether to be funny or serious and it doesn't have room for camp-factor like Totally Spies! had. As a result, it falls flat on both counts.
    Redakaigirl
    Redakaigirl
    Admin

Post  Redakaigirl Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:02 pm

What is a camp factor?
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    Zair wrote:Personally I love the cards. I'm just a collector though so I don't really play the game. And did you mean that it costs less for them to produce the cards and then they go selling them for way more than they should be? If so, didn't know that. I will admit the products for Redakai are really overpriced. At Zellers in Canada (before all the 'sales' were going on) one power pack was $6.99. And I don't think the new X-drive figures have shown up in Canada yet. I heard they were selling for $7.00-$9.00... which is WAY expensive for one card and a small figure.. but w/e.

I know, I was at least expecting some development notes(Like how Monsuno is doing "Monsuno Masters" segments with the creators) or a webisode, maybe some biographies, but nope, Toy Fair trailers...

Spin Master was too arrogant with this series, in my opinion. They clearly poured a LOT of money into this series with all of the technology, advertising, and animation, but didn't put enough into story-writing, consultation, and peripheral design, or at least not in the right direction. The animation is above-par and has few errors (Zane's teleporting neck in episode 24 being the most noticeable)
    Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Classy Classy...

However, the writing falls flat on its face. I'm sure you're familiar with: "Guys we've got to save the forest! Quick, start hurling FIRE everywhere!!" There's also an episode where the door of the X-Scaper freezes shut. Gee, if only one of them had the power to conjure swords of plasma or hurl tornadoes of fire that could melt the ice! I guess there weren't enough trees around to give them that idea... It's all style-over-substance. Then again, what do you expect passing this off to the creators of the deliberately-campy "Totally Spies!"?

But perhaps I should be more fair. What is it that you like about the series?

Agreed. I did notice that in episode 24. I laughed when I saw Zane's neck like that. I pay attention to all those types of things. Have you noticed that when a character laughs or grunts etc they use the same voice recordings for them? The only explanation I've heard for this is that voice recordings can be expensive. I don't see how but apparently they can be. Also no one in the show thinks. For example.. in The episode titled "Battacor Blood" Boomer literally talks out loud to himself. You think Team Battacor would hear him speak... but nope. Nothing. And I mean not one person in the show has thought something. I follow up every episode and I just know these things about it.
    And yes, I'm familiar with that line. Again, I laughed. Episodes 25 & 26 were sort of a disappointment. Just like episode 12 the tournament was way to short.. I mean the Imperiaz lost to the Radikor in a snap. You think with 2 continuous episodes they'd last longer.. but nope.

I guess I like the show because I have always liked Marathon's animation, mistakes or not. I grew up with Martin Mystery and I loved that show. And here it comes.. I like the show for the characters. Yes. I said it. Even though none of them really have personality/story differences, I like them. (Their designs and how they are aliens I guess) I really hope season 2 will actually explain the characters more but I highly doubt that, since all 52 episodes have been made already.

Oh, also a random point Ky made in an episode (Green with Infinita Envy) was that they couldn't turn into monsters without there being a Kairu challenge.. that may apply for attacks to. But I think they've broken that rule already.

Even though I mentioned a lot of the negative points about the show, I love it.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Redakaigirl wrote:The makers of Totally Spies made this? I did not know that. And I agree, if you put some much work into animation, I think the stroy should be just as good. Smile

Marathon Media. http://www.marathon-media.fr/ They made shows like Totally Spies and Martin Mystery.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Redakaigirl wrote:What is a camp factor?
    When something is considered "Campy", it sort of means it's bad in a funny way. The over-the-top valley girl antics and random, nonsensical spy gadgets of Totally Spies are both quite cliche, but when something is written to be kinda cheesy and cliche on purpose, its "campy". With the exception of Diara's personality, Redakai is lacking in the camp needed to be funny.

Agreed. I did notice that in episode 24. I laughed when I saw Zane's neck like that. I pay attention to all those types of things. Have you noticed that when a character laughs or grunts etc they use the same voice recordings for them? The only explanation I've heard for this is that voice recordings can be expensive. I don't see how but apparently they can be.
    They certainly can be. Recording sessions can take a long time, as the proper inflection and vocalization can require several attempts. Add in union regulations on how many voice actors can perform for how long and recording can be a real hassle.

And yes, I'm familiar with that line. Again, I laughed. Episodes 25 & 26 were sort of a disappointment. Just like episode 12 the tournament was way to short.. I mean the Imperiaz lost to the Radikor in a snap. You think with 2 continuous episodes they'd last longer.. but nope.
    I'm honestly hoping the Imperiaz get a spotlight episode, as they are pretty much the only thing in the show that isn't a totally lost cause. Diara has the most personality out of anyone in the cast (and when the 2-d Valley Girl has the most personality in the cast, you have a problem) and I think that their infighting and diversity would make them much more interesting main characters than Team Stax. The cast of Cowboy Bebop certainly wasn't known for getting along.

Oh, also a random point Ky made in an episode (Green with Infinita Envy) was that they couldn't turn into monsters without there being a Kairu challenge.. that may apply for attacks to. But I think they've broken that rule already.
    They broke the "No Attacking Civilians" rule in Episode 1 by punting rocks at people. Then again, that was the supposed pilot, but I'd have preferred seeing more ingenuity with the techniques beyond just attacking. And when you are in danger of freezing to death, what's a technique out of combat here or there? They haven't clearly laid out the rules of combat anywhere, so they can just pull them from the usual place whenever they want.
    SonOfOgre
    SonOfOgre

Post  SonOfOgre Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 am

Zair wrote:

I'm in the same boat. This series has quite a bit of stumbles, but I have seen worse, and it hasn't quite hit trainwreck status. Plus I've been on board with Marathon since the old school TS days, and I'm forever damned to support (most) of their endeavors. This might be their first shot at doing something that was supposed to be more serious and dramatic than their usual fare, and they're not quite sure how to do it. Hell, doing something with continuity was a step for them.

...God I hope they do character/team sidestories next season and flesh everyone out.

Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 am

SonOfOgre wrote:
    Zair wrote:

I'm in the same boat. This series has quite a bit of stumbles, but I have seen worse, and it hasn't quite hit trainwreck status. Plus I've been on board with Marathon since the old school TS days, and I'm forever damned to support (most) of their endeavors. This might be their first shot at doing something that was supposed to be more serious and dramatic than their usual fare, and they're not quite sure how to do it. Hell, doing something with continuity was a step for them.

...God I hope they do character/team sidestories next season and flesh everyone out.

Don't get me wrong, I liked TS, too, but I enjoyed the camp factor. Without that, Marathon stuff kinda falls flat for me.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Kohdok wrote:They certainly can be. Recording sessions can take a long time, as the proper inflection and vocalization can require several attempts. Add in union regulations on how many voice actors can perform for how long and recording can be a real hassle.

Oh, duh. I should have thought about that.

Kohdok wrote:I'm honestly hoping the Imperiaz get a spotlight episode, as they are pretty much the only thing in the show that isn't a totally lost cause. Diara has the most personality out of anyone in the cast (and when the 2-d Valley Girl has the most personality in the cast, you have a problem) and I think that their infighting and diversity would make them much more interesting main characters than Team Stax. The cast of Cowboy Bebop certainly wasn't known for getting along.

I totally agree with you there. I don't even like team Stax that much. Spolier: I do know the Imperiaz get their parents eventually. (Well it's obvious) Because I chatted with the actor of Koz/Techris... Anyways, I don't know if the show will ever switch the focus to another team because it never happened in season one... still.. I have my hopes up high. Hopefully there is story in season 2.

Kohdok wrote:They broke the "No Attacking Civilians" rule in Episode 1 by punting rocks at people. Then again, that was the supposed pilot, but I'd have preferred seeing more ingenuity with the techniques beyond just attacking. And when you are in danger of freezing to death, what's a technique out of combat here or there? They haven't clearly laid out the rules of combat anywhere, so they can just pull them from the usual place whenever they want.

It sounds like the people who wrote it just added on rules as they went along. Which isn't good. It leads to confusion and rules contradicting.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:14 pm

SonOfOgre wrote:
    Zair wrote:

If it's a repeat of season 1, I will be disappointed. Though I'll still buy the DVDs regardless. I hope every team gets a back story... or episode. But I think their might be another team that replaces the Battacor... not for good but for Lokar. They (or he) is called Hiverax. I know this information from an actor. But I don't know if Hiverax is one person... or a team.. (and I don't know if they work for Lokar either) But another team introduced could mean trouble. How would they explain a lot about each team. I dunno. //Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense... I'm tired at the moment D: //
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:29 am

Zair wrote:It sounds like the people who wrote it just added on rules as they went along. Which isn't good. It leads to confusion and rules contradicting.

...Did you get what I meant when I said "Pull it from the usual place?"

As for Team Stax, I wanna see them get beaten. Badly. I cheered after they were utterly pwned in the first scuffle of Episode 24, but due to their contractual invincibility, I frowned at the end of it. I wanna see them actually lose an episode for once. They are annoying protagonists. The writers fail as writers for making me hate the protagonists!

There needs to be a bad guy group that-

* is diverse (For example: a rough girl, a con-man, and a samurai)
    * is powerful (High-tier powerful, like the team in Episode 24)

and, most importantly:

* gets along and uses teamwork.

The thing is, while Team Stax is dense, the E-teens are practically braindead. A competent team that used good teamwork would bulldoze Team Stax. They need a real threat that they lose a major battle to.
    Redakaigirl
    Redakaigirl
    Admin

Post  Redakaigirl Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Yes, I agree with you Kohdk.
    I really hated it when you knew who was gonna win in the finale. Zane wins everybody and so does Kai. They battle it out (and Kai wins) But with the exception of Kai facing Maya in the end, I could of totally guessed what would happen.
    SonOfOgre
    SonOfOgre

Post  SonOfOgre Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah, general consensus is that main characters need to be unGod-modded. ESPECIALLY now that Connor "floating island" Stax is back on the good team apparently. I was also hoping for Maya to flip, in which case good would prob lose more often for story purposes. This new character/team at the least can give me some new fan-canon material at the least, but hopefully they provide a bit more.
    Wonder if they use team Bro for fillers now...
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:51 pm

SonOfOgre wrote:Yeah, general consensus is that main characters need to be unGod-modded. ESPECIALLY now that Connor "floating island" Stax is back on the good team apparently. I was also hoping for Maya to flip, in which case good would prob lose more often for story purposes. This new character/team at the least can give me some new fan-canon material at the least, but hopefully they provide a bit more.
    Wonder if they use team Bro for fillers now...

I doubt we've seen the last of "Rynoh the More-Fabulous-Than-Maximillian-Pegasus". Probably the one that really got me peeved is that Ky defeated Lokar in their first encounter. Really? They win, then they run away? Mad
    SonOfOgre
    SonOfOgre

Post  SonOfOgre Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh Rhynoh...>XD I don't think he's quite at Pegasus tier though.
    I'd miss Zylus, since he's my favorite villain after Diara. He's the OG dim guy of the series, and by your reckoning everyone else is inadvertently copying his style. Wink I will admit that I'll smile when he manages to "outsmart" someone. Underdog victory I suppose.
    The Black Kairu ep was Brottacor's first non-fillery ep, but one I kinda wished they held off on a bit more before they needed the inevitable scrape by victory over Lokar, especially via the Geese Howard method. 10 feels a smidge too early on, but if they were originally gunning for a 26 ep series, then perhaps they felt it was close enough to a halfway point.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    Zair wrote:It sounds like the people who wrote it just added on rules as they went along. Which isn't good. It leads to confusion and rules contradicting.

...Did you get what I meant when I said "Pull it from the usual place?"

As for Team Stax, I wanna see them get beaten. Badly. I cheered after they were utterly pwned in the first scuffle of Episode 24, but due to their contractual invincibility, I frowned at the end of it. I wanna see them actually lose an episode for once. They are annoying protagonists. The writers fail as writers for making me hate the protagonists!

There needs to be a bad guy group that-

* is diverse (For example: a rough girl, a con-man, and a samurai)
    * is powerful (High-tier powerful, like the team in Episode 24)

and, most importantly:

* gets along and uses teamwork.

The thing is, while Team Stax is dense, the E-teens are practically braindead. A competent team that used good teamwork would bulldoze Team Stax. They need a real threat that they lose a major battle to.

I thought you meant that they just make rules up as they go along. Razz
    I was also happy when team Stax finally took a beating! But yeah.. didn't last long. And it'd be great to see a team like that.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Zair wrote:
    I thought you meant that they just make rules up as they go along. Razz
    I was also happy when team Stax finally took a beating! But yeah.. didn't last long. And it'd be great to see a team like that.

... Yeah, that is basically what I meant. Let's just leave it at that...
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm

SonOfOgre wrote:Oh Rhynoh...>XD I don't think he's quite at Pegasus tier though.
    I'd miss Zylus, since he's my favorite villain after Diara. He's the OG dim guy of the series, and by your reckoning everyone else is inadvertently copying his style. Wink I will admit that I'll smile when he manages to "outsmart" someone. Underdog victory I suppose.
    The Black Kairu ep was Brottacor's first non-fillery ep, but one I kinda wished they held off on a bit more before they needed the inevitable scrape by victory over Lokar, especially via the Geese Howard method. 10 feels a smidge too early on, but if they were originally gunning for a 26 ep series, then perhaps they felt it was close enough to a halfway point.

Ha. Rynoh. I love that guy. & I smiled when Zylus was like "You know what? I think she tricked us!"
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:47 pm

SonOfOgre wrote:Oh Rhynoh...>XD I don't think he's quite at Pegasus tier though.

His bad bromance makes him VERY close... he just needs some pink accents on his outfit to make it absolute.
    Zair
    Zair

Post  Zair Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:13 am

Kohdok wrote:

His bad bromance makes him VERY close... he just needs some pink accents on his outfit to make it absolute.

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Sgoon10
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:35 am

Zair wrote:
    Kohdok wrote:

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 Sgoon10

Redakai DVD: Volume 2 1301538817799

That might be a little...TOO fabulous...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm