Redakai World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Redakai World

4 posters

The Custom Character Discussion Thread

Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

The Custom Character Discussion Thread Empty The Custom Character Discussion Thread

Post  Metannoyed Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 pm

So,

What would add more replay/strategy to Redakai now that it's essentially dead/dying? New Characters.

Why New Characters?

Unlike Attack Cards, Custom Characters are far easier to make, they don't need to be shuffled, and we all have at least 30x extra Boomer's laying around anyway, right?

General Guidelines;

- Don't exceed 400 total defence without a drawback - If you look at Team Impeariaz you'll notice two things; 1; while they have a total defence of 400, it's split between two colors which in effect makes them weaker, it's arguable that there signature "Good until hit" ability is a drawback as well, because they are the only characters that can lose their ability *before* it's covered by a monster/attack.

Possible "Weak Abilities" for characters with more than 400 combined defence.

(a possible team - themed around cards, and being reckless)
    - At the begging of your turn instead of drawing a card as normal; if you have equal to or less than three cards in your hand, Draw one extra card. If you have more than three cards do not draw a card. (Helps you when your down, hurts you when your up)
    - If you end your turn with no cards in your hand Recharge (2) Kairu.
    - If you end your turn with no available Kairu, draw two cards.

Possible (extra good) Abilities for characters with less than 300 combined defence;

- Draw one extra card at the begging of your turn (if this is too good make it; On odd numbered t
    urns draw one extra card at the begging of your turn)
    - On your first turn gain (1) Kairu (Admittedly, this is a lot like Ky - Stax Leader except it doesn't need to be activated, and he has 400 combined defence)
    - On odd numbered turns gain (1) kairu (so that on turns 1, 3, 5,... you'd gain an extra Kairu if the ability is still showing.)
    - Your characters have +100 defence in each color (Defence values are kind of a joke in this game, so I'm all about finding ways to make defence more meaningful)

What ideas do you all have for custom characters?
    (Oh, and my first idea for a Custom Team? Ash, Brock, Misty Smile)

MoreDakka

The Custom Character Discussion Thread Empty Re: The Custom Character Discussion Thread

Post  MoreDakka Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am

great idea and totally makes sense. You're right... I do have 100 Boomers Smile
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

The Custom Character Discussion Thread Empty Re: The Custom Character Discussion Thread

Post  Kohdok Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I developed some characters.

Passive effects: Decent effects, but can the character last long enough to benefit from them?

Catherine, Renegades
    DEF: mid red 300
    Your cards with no effect text cost {1} less to play. (Part of a "Textless" archetype that allows more powerful cards to be played sooner if they have no text.)

Anyu, Renegades
    Def: bottom blue 300
    Recharge an additional {1} during your recharge step. (Like gaining {1} at the start, only more fragile, and thus more fair)

Anyu, Renegades, messing around.
    Def: bottom blue 300, mid green 100
    Whenever you hit with an attack that deals no damage, draw a card.

Tricky: abilities that can shift to match the situation.

Pierrot
    Def: top red 400
    REACT {2}: Change Pierrot's defense to the color of your choice.

Non-unique characters: Affect the whole field.

Marionette, #47
    (You may use up to three "Marionette" characters.)
    At the start of the game, all players gain {1}

Marionette, #8
    At the start of the game, all players lose {1}.

Marionette, #49
    There is no hand-size limit.

Counter: Might not be a good idea to try to wipe these guys out too early, as they get powerful abilities from being hit.

Latifah, Vertikor
    Defenses: top red 300
    If I am hit with an attack, gain {1}.

Juubei, Vertikor
    Defense: mid green 300
    If I am hit with an attack, you may play an attack as a REACT, lowering the cost by {2} (Minimum 0)

Spider, Vertikor
    Defense: bottom blue 300
    If I am hit with an attack, draw a card.
    MoreDakka

Post  MoreDakka Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    Catherine, Renegades
    Your cards with no effect text cost {1} less to play. (Part of a "Textless" archetype that allows more powerful cards to be played sooner if they have no text.)

I think this is actually a really good type of card. Playing around with this or similar creations would be quite interesting.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

MoreDakka wrote:
    Kohdok wrote:
    Catherine, Renegades

I think this is actually a really good type of card. Playing around with this or similar creations would be quite interesting.

Well, her monster is called Bassault:

Bassault
    {3}
    Stone Elemental
    Defenses Top blue 300, bottom red 300
    Effect: Your attacks with no effect text cost {1} less to play and gain +100 power.

Bassault:
    {6}
    Gold Elemental
    Defenses: top red 500, bottom blue 400
    Effect: You attacks with no effect text cannot be stopped.

Like that.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    MoreDakka wrote:
    Kohdok wrote:
    Catherine, Renegades

Well, her monster is called Bassault:

Bassault
    {3}
    Stone Elemental
    Defenses Top blue 300, bottom red 300
    Effect: Your attacks with no effect text cost {1} less to play and gain +100 power.

Bassault:
    {6}
    Gold Elemental
    Defenses: top red 500, bottom blue 400
    Effect: You attacks with no effect text cannot be stopped.

Like that.

Hah, You read my mind. I was thinking about how to make textless cards more potent, I was approaching it from a penalizing Text'd cards though.

Good characters, some of them might be too powerful in practice though, like the Counters, Maybe not, I guess you could hit him once with a Ability cover card. It's interesting.

I like the one less to play textless ability a lot.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:48 am

Also I like that monster, Great Name, Good Concept, although, I think it should be a Monster not an Elemental Smile
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Metannoyed wrote:Also I like that monster, Great Name, Good Concept, although, I think it should be a Monster not an Elemental Smile

Types are Beast, Machine, and elemental.

Ya know, I don't think there have been any cards that specifically target any of those three types...
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:51 am

Kohdok wrote:
    Metannoyed wrote:Also I like that monster, Great Name, Good Concept, although, I think it should be a Monster not an Elemental Smile

Types are Beast, Machine, and elemental.

Ya know, I don't think there have been any cards that specifically target any of those three types...

Right you are,

I'm not sure how I feel about a monster having different types for different forms, it feels un-thematic to me. Do any current monsters do that? (Like, is there a Metanoid Beast or Elemental? or a Zytron Machine or Elemental? etc). It just feels like (to me) that a Named monster's type should be the same between forms *shrug*

I do like the idea about targeting types, it's occurred to me as well, but I don't know if it'd add enough to be worth while, I guess you could do things like having a team that summons a certain type easier, etc.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:04 am

I think some interesting ideas for cards would be:

Anti-Gold - Cards that punish the use of Gold Monsters. Perhaps cards that gain power when used against a Gold monster, or monsters that gain an effect when the opponent uses a gold monster.
    Textless - Already mentioned.
    Word-match archetypes - An Idea I had used a card that made attacks with "Shell" in their names cost less. "Shell" attacks would be above-average in cost, but with this "monster" in place (A Tank named "Betsy Ross") They would be cheaper than equivalent attacks.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 am

Kohdok wrote:I think some interesting ideas for cards would be:

Anti-Gold - Cards that punish the use of Gold Monsters. Perhaps cards that gain power when used against a Gold monster, or monsters that gain an effect when the opponent uses a gold monster.
    Textless - Already mentioned.
    Word-match archetypes - An Idea I had used a card that made attacks with "Shell" in their names cost less. "Shell" attacks would be above-average in cost, but with this "monster" in place (A Tank named "Betsy Ross") They would be cheaper than equivalent attacks.

Anti-Gold.

I love it. And no, I hadn't thought of that one!

For whatever reason Void comes to mind as a name for Anti-Gold, as in Metanoid - Void Machine (or Dark Void Machine) *shrug*
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:43 am

An Idea I've been working on lately is this;

It's a new type of card (made from Hailstorms probably, or from a non-covering attack that you cut the damage windows out of.

It represents Equipment/Training/A Skill/Whatever that your character comes into play with, the text of the abilty goes where normal attack text would go, so yes, one attack, any attack will cover it, but in all likelyhood 2 characters will still have two abilities on turn two.

The card can also add defence (to do this I'll cut defence values out of extra character cards and splice them in.

Basically what I want to do here is create more starting permutations and options; Am I going to run Boomer with the Steadfast ability or with the Kairu X-Reader equipment?

If we could find a way to make custom cards that passed then we could start working on Boost/Beneficial cards that you play on your own characters (and yeah, clean-up is harder but it isnt that hard - the good cards are yours, the bad cards are your opponents)
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Metannoyed wrote:An Idea I've been working on lately is this;

It's a new type of card (made from Hailstorms probably, or from a non-covering attack that you cut the damage windows out of.

It represents Equipment/Training/A Skill/Whatever that your character comes into play with, the text of the abilty goes where normal attack text would go, so yes, one attack, any attack will cover it, but in all likelyhood 2 characters will still have two abilities on turn two.

The card can also add defence (to do this I'll cut defence values out of extra character cards and splice them in.

Basically what I want to do here is create more starting permutations and options; Am I going to run Boomer with the Steadfast ability or with the Kairu X-Reader equipment?

If we could find a way to make custom cards that passed then we could start working on Boost/Beneficial cards that you play on your own characters (and yeah, clean-up is harder but it isnt that hard - the good cards are yours, the bad cards are your opponents)

What you're talking about is already there: The different versions of character cards(Well, if they'd ever implemented it...). Such as "Boomer: Team Stax" and "Boomer: Stax Powerhouse". I think that has it covered already.

A couple more:

Text-overlays: Attacks that, rather than simply blanking the special ability, actually change it.
    For example:

Stupefy:
    Blue
    Kairu cost 2
    Power: 650
    Damage: None
    Defense: None
    Effect: None
    Character Text: Your attacks cost {1} more to play.

Locations: Horizontal cards that have a global effect over the fight.Played to the side of the battlefield, they operate like Field Spell Cards.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    Metannoyed wrote:An Idea I've been working on lately is this;

It represents Equipment/Training/A Skill/Whatever that your character comes into play with, the text of the ability goes where normal attack text would go, so yes, one attack, any attack will cover it, but in all likelihood 2 characters will still have two abilities on turn two.

What you're talking about is already there: The different versions of character cards(Well, if they'd ever implemented it...). Such as "Boomer: Team Stax" and "Boomer: Stax Powerhouse". I think that has it covered already.

With all due respect I completely disagree, for two reasons;

1: Different versions of Boomer are more options, Sure, but not nearly as many options you'd have if there were Equipment/Skill cards that you started the game with. These could also cover up starting abilities like you suggest with your attack card (I like that idea).

2: Boomer - Stax Powerhouse doesn't exist in publication or in any way that most of us can get it (sort of printing out a home made version). Even if it did exist, even if three versions of each character existed, It'd still be fun (and not at all the same thing) to have customizing cards to play on top of them to slightly change their flavor.

Does that make sense?
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Metannoyed wrote:

With all due respect I completely disagree, for two reasons;

1: Different versions of Boomer are more options, Sure, but not nearly as many options you'd have if there were Equipment/Skill cards that you started the game with. These could also cover up starting abilities like you suggest with your attack card (I like that idea).

Replacing abilities is what Monsters do, and different versions of characters offer the different starting abilities. Skill cards like the ones you're describing would be redundant and would be erased by the first monster played on it.

2: Boomer - Stax Powerhouse doesn't exist in publication or in any way that most of us can get it (sort of printing out a home made version). Even if it did exist, even if three versions of each character existed, It'd still be fun (and not at all the same thing) to have customizing cards to play on top of them to slightly change their flavor.

Does that make sense?

Guess what? None of our custom cards exist in the game, either. I still find the idea redundant as the Monsters and different versions of characters fulfill the same purpose. You haven't really sold me on this idea, sorry.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Kohdok wrote:You haven't really sold me on this idea, sorry.

So I've noticed Wink I'm pretty sure I just haven't explained it well enough. I'll be back with pictures once I make what I'm talking about, and well, Then you'll see.
    MoreDakka

Post  MoreDakka Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I think I get what you're going for.
    Monsters do essentially do what you're speaking of and kinda replace "equipment" cards from other games BUT having equipment cards like what you describe (and other kinds) wouldn't be affected by cards that affect monsters.

I think it's a decent idea but you'd probably want to do an entire series release that concentrates on this type of play so as to not just make it 1 or two cards.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:59 pm

MoreDakka wrote:I think I get what you're going for.
    Monsters do essentially do what you're speaking of and kinda replace "equipment" cards from other games BUT having equipment cards like what you describe (and other kinds) wouldn't be affected by cards that affect monsters.

I think it's a decent idea but you'd probably want to do an entire series release that concentrates on this type of play so as to not just make it 1 or two cards.

But that would be their only advantage, and are otherwise still redundant. So far, there aren't any cards that target specific monster types(except for Ky and Zane, which offer beneficial effects to specific monsters, or Crashing Surf, which is also a beneficial effect) So there really isn't a point.

What you want is a twist in the current gameplay that offers a subtle change without convoluting it with unnecessary new card types.

Here's probably my best idea: COLORSHIFT.

COLORSHIFT: "If a monster card with COLORSHIFT is played on top of a monster with the same name, decrease the cost of the monster being played by the kairu cost of the monster it is being played on."

For example: one of my characters has Blazeaxe: Knight Machine on it, which has a kairu cost of 3. I wish to play Blazaxe: Blue Machine on top of it. Blazaxe: Blue Machine has a kairu cost of 7, but also has COLORSHIFT. Since both cards are named "Blazaxe", I subtract the cost of Blazaxe: Knight Machine from the cost of Blazaxe: Blue Machine, enabling me to play Blazaxe: Blue Machine for 4 Kairu.

Blazaxe: Knight Machine
    Cost 3
    Healing: None
    Defenses: Top green 300, Mid red 300
    Effect: Your attacks with Sword, Mace, Blade, Whip, Dagger, Axe, or Hammer in their names cost 1 less to play and gain +100 power.

Blazaxe: Blue Machine
    Cost: 7
    Defenses: Top blue 300, Mid blue 400
    Effect: COLORSHIFT; You may play me as a REACT. If you do, stop an opponent's attack.

In the show, this ability would actually appear, reflecting a technique that saves energy by switching between the different colors of the same monster to suit the situation. Energy is saved by not changing the monster type, only the colors and abilities.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    Here's probably my best idea: COLORSHIFT.

COLORSHIFT: "If a monster card with COLORSHIFT is played on top of a monster with the same name, decrease the cost of the monster being played by the kairu cost of the monster it is being played on."

For example: one of my characters has Blazeaxe: Knight Machine on it, which has a kairu cost of 3. I wish to play Blazaxe: Blue Machine on top of it. Blazaxe: Blue Machine has a kairu cost of 7, but also has COLORSHIFT. Since both cards are named "Blazaxe", I subtract the cost of Blazaxe: Knight Machine from the cost of Blazaxe: Blue Machine, enabling me to play Blazaxe: Blue Machine for 4 Kairu.

Blazaxe: Knight Machine
    Cost 3
    Defenses: Top green 300, Mid red 300
    Effect: Your attacks with Sword, Mace, Blade, Whip, Dagger, Axe, or Hammer in their names cost 1 less to play and gain +100 power.

Blazaxe: Blue Machine
    Cost: 7
    Defenses: Top blue 300, Mid blue 400
    Effect: COLORSHIFT; You may play me as a REACT. If you do, stop an opponent's attack.

In the show, this ability would actually appear, reflecting a technique that saves energy by switching between the different colors of the same monster to suit the situation. Energy is saved by not changing the monster type, only the colors and abilities.[/size]

It's a neat ability, and makes a lot of sense, I'd suggest calling it Upgrade though, or something else to suggest progression - that way you could use it for monsters that are not as linked to one color or another.

I'm done talking about the equipment cards in this thread - They'll get there own thread once I have something to show.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Metannoyed wrote:

It's a neat ability, and makes a lot of sense, I'd suggest calling it Upgrade though, or something else to suggest progression - that way you could use it for monsters that are not as linked to one color or another.

No, the term "Upgrade" doesn't really work, since COLORSHIFT allows you to play any monster with COLORSHIFT on top of any other monster with the same name, even one that is weaker or costs less. It's shuffling different powers around, not improving them.

For example, since Blazaxe: Blue Machine has an ability that only works when it gets played (Which will probably be true of many COLORSHIFT cards), I'll probably want to quickly replace it. Now, if I play Blazaxe: Green Machine, which has a Kairu cost of 5, onto Blazaxe Blue Machine, I play it for free since Blazaxe: Blue Machine costs more than Blazaxe: Green Machine.

Blazaxe: Green Machine
    Cost: 5 Kairu
    Healing: None.
    Defenses: Top green: 300, Mid green 300
    Effect: COLORSHIFT; {1} REACT, change the target of the attack you just played to another legal target.

This can make it work wonders with cards with METACHARGE and is part of the reason to implement it.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:00 pm

My point (and opinion) was just that I didn't really think COLORSHIFT was a good name for it. Adding a new keyword to the game reminds me of how Magic kept adding new words to cards that you had to look up, if anything, why don't we just make and playtest a House Rule that says something along the lines of;

-When Playing a monster on top of a monster with the same name pay (2) less kairu/or/subtract the cost of the monster in play from the monster being played.

----

Also this thread is pretty off topic at this point.
    SonOfOgre
    SonOfOgre

Post  SonOfOgre Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm

I was going to start up a custom character thread myself for love of all things fan-non, and because I have a handfull of characters for my own bastardized Reda fanon. Though I've only managed to scrape together cards for 3 of them.
    Kohdok
    Kohdok

Post  Kohdok Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:40 am

SonOfOgre wrote:I was going to start up a custom character thread myself for love of all things fan-non, and because I have a handfull of characters for my own bastardized Reda fanon. Though I've only managed to scrape together cards for 3 of them.

I think this is more of a custom cards thread than a custom characters thread. Anything Fanon should probably get its own thread.
    Metannoyed
    Metannoyed

Post  Metannoyed Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Kohdok wrote:
    SonOfOgre wrote:I was going to start up a custom character thread myself for love of all things fan-non, and because I have a handfull of characters for my own bastardized Reda fanon. Though I've only managed to scrape together cards for 3 of them.

I think this is more of a custom cards thread than a custom characters thread. Anything Fanon should probably get its own thread.

Custom characters belong here. The title is "The Custom Character Discussion Thread".

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 am